These types of storms can be life-threatening, and cause flooding, storm surge, high winds, and tornadoes. Not to mention the serious property damage that occurs during these storms. It is important to know how to react and to have an action plan in place.
Know the Difference
Hurricanes watch -This is the time to review your storm plans. During the watch period, you should get ready to act if a warning is issued.
Hurricanes warning – Complete your storm preparations and leave the area if directed to do so by authorities.
Our advice to travelers:
If a hurricane is about to make landfall, you should:
- Monitor news sources and this safety service for information.
- Close storm shutters/windows, and secure outdoor objects or bring them indoors.
- Avoid using the phone, except for serious emergencies.
You should evacuate under the following conditions:
- If you are directed by local authorities or advised by this safety service to do so.
If you are unable to evacuate, follow these guidelines:
- Stay inside during the hurricane and away from windows and glass doors.
- Close all interior doors – secure and brace external doors.
- Keep curtains and blinds closed. Do not be fooled if there is a lull; it could be the eye of the storm – winds will pick up again.
- Take refuge in a small interior room, closet or hallway on the lowest level.
- Lie on the floor under a table or another sturdy object.
- Avoid elevators.
After a tropical storm/hurricane you should:
- Continue monitoring weather news, local news and this security information service for the latest updates.
- Stay alerted for extended rainfall and subsequent flooding even after the hurricane or tropical storm has ended.
- If you evacuated, return home only when officials say it is safe.
- Drive only if necessary and avoid flooded roads and washed-out bridges.
- Keep away from loose or dangling power lines.
- Stay out of any building if you smell gas.
- Use battery-powered flashlights, NOT use candles.
- Avoid drinking or preparing food with tap water until you are sure it’s not contaminated.
- Use the telephone only for emergency calls.
Safeture is a travel security app that provides travel alerts based on your current location. We send alerts and travel advice in real-time so you will always have the right information.