Tornadoes have been observed on every continent, except Antarctica. Yet, the vast majority of tornadoes occur in the United States. Here is some travel advice if you’re traveling to North America during tornado season (April-July).
Tornado intensities are classified on the Fujita Scale with ratings between F0 (weakest) to F5 (strongest).
Know the Difference
Tornado Watch – Tornadoes are possible in and near the watch area. Review and discuss your emergency plans, check supplies and your safe room. Be ready to act when a warning is issued or you suspect a tornado is approaching.
Tornado Warning – A tornado has been sighted or indicated by weather radar. Tornado warnings indicate imminent danger to life and property. Go immediately underground or to a basement, storm cellar or a windowless interior room.
- During a storm, listen to local news or use the Safeture app to stay informed.
- Know your community’s warning system. Communities have different ways of warning residents about tornados. Warnings for tornados include sirens, text messages or in-app alerts.
- The safest place to be is an underground shelter, basement or safe room. If no underground shelter or safe room is available, an interior room in a sturdy building is the safest alternative.
- Watch for tornado danger signs, these include: dark, often greenish clouds, a cloud wall, or a cloud of debris.
How to prepare for a tornado:
- Keeping a to-go bag ready at all times.
- Know where the nearest shelters are located.
- Check flashlights and extra batteries, and invest in an emergency hand-crank radio.
- Keeping your phone charged when you know severe weather is approaching.
- Know how to safely shut off your electric service, gas line, and water.
Our advice to travelers is instead of subscribing to every local emergency service, use a global travel warning app. Our service sends alerts for natural disasters, accidents, outbreaks of disease, political unrest, crime, economic instability, and travel delays.
Safeture is a travel security app that provides travel alerts based on your current location. We send alerts and travel advice in real-time so you will always have the right information.